Every country in Latin America has its own recipe for empanadas with different preparations, doughs, textures, shapes and fillings. Peruvian empanadas are filled with their most famous signature dishes, this recipe is with the filling of the papa rellena (stuffed potato).
- 300gr ground half beef / half pork
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 40gr of raisins
- 10gr parsley, finely chopped
- 1 boiled egg, cut into 8 pieces
- 5 kalamata olives, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 beaten egg
Dough: 60gr butter, 150gr flour + extra, 45ml water
Salsa criolla (family of the Mexican pico de gallo) : 1/2 onion, 4 tomatoes, 1 red pepper, a hand full of cilantro and 3 tbsp white balsamic.
- Melt the butter and mix with the flour and water for 5min till you have smooth dough. Wrap in plastic foil and put in the fridge for 20min.
- Soak the raisins in hot water.
- Cut and mix all the ingredients for the salsa criollo and put in the fridge.
- Cook and stir the onion and garlic over medium-low heat until the onion has softened and is transparent.
- Add the ground meat over medium-high heat and cook till the meat is crumbly and no longer pink.
- Add the raisins, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Let the filling cool to room temperature.
- Take the dough out of the fridge: it should be soft and smooth, not elastic. Trick: poke a hole in the dough with your finger. and the hole should remain.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface into a thin sheet and cut out discs using a pastry cutter (Dille&Kamille) or a big glass.
- Brush the edges of the empanada discs with a bit of the beaten egg to help better seal them.
- Put one tbsp of the filling in the middle with an egg piece and olive on top. Fold the dough and seal the edges with your fingers.
- Brush the empanadas with the beaten egg, this is most easy when you keep the empanada in your hand. Chill the empanadas for about 20 minutes.
- Put them in the pre-heated over for 15-20min on 200℃ until gold.
- Ready! Serve them with pico de gallo on top.